Sunday, May 20, 2012

Ogden Nash on Insects

THE TERMITE
Some primal termite knocked on wood
And tasted it, and found it good,
And that is why your Cousin May
Fell through the parlor floor today.

THE ANT
The ant has made himself illustrious
Through constant industry industrious.
So what?
Would you be calm and placid
If you were full of formic acid?

THE CENTIPEDE
I objurgate the centipede,
A bug we do not really need.
At sleepy-time he beats a path
Straight to the bedroom or the bath.
You always wallop where he's not,
Or, if he is, he makes a spot.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, not an INSECT, but years ago, I made my own 'Ogden Nash'-inspired verse about a balloon animal that was supposed to be a PIG :

Hi, there! I'm Porkus the pig.
In size, I am small rather than big.
But, as to humor, I am
the biggest ham.
If you want me - yes I am for takin'
just please, do not turn me into bacon!